Communications & Development Manager – Nonprofit Organization
Company: Greenleaf Communities, NFP
Job Title: Communications & Development Manager
Location: Chicago, IL
Greenleaf Communities, NFP is an established nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to advance a healthy and sustainable world. Our programs focus on addressing the environmental sources of human health concerns. Therefore, the research we support investigates the most basic and important natural resources we have: the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the soils which provide the food we eat. Greenleaf achieves outcomes by convening and fostering interdisciplinary leaders, elevating collaborative research, and advancing partnerships to resolve these issues.
Greenleaf is hiring a full-time Communications & Development Manager to support the current and future projects in its key focus areas of healthy soils, sustainable water, and resilient, healthy cities. The Manager will be responsible for developing and executing the organization’s communication strategy across multiple platforms including formation of key messages, leveraging and enhancing partnerships, and driving development materials. This position will be responsible for maintaining relationships with clients, partners, funders, board members, and public audiences to advance the organization’s mission.
Responsibilities are broad, given the small staff size, engagement of many partners, and entrepreneurial nature of the business. Key deliverables could include visibility for research and reports, communication materials, strategic media plan, media impressions, leadership on external events, board communications, and identifying and leading grant/funding opportunities.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated a commitment to sustainability and have experience engaging across a range of disciplines in a collaborative fashion. The position is based in downtown Chicago and will require travel in the Midwest plus more broadly as business demands.
- Develop and execute annual strategic communications plan across multiple platforms with measurable outcomes.
- Translate research for uptake into practice to target audiences and media.
- Maintain and enhance partner, funder, client and Board member relationships.
- Identify and secure grant funding opportunities in partnership with Greenleaf network.
- Coordinate and lead solicitation of private donor requests for Greenleaf.
- Evaluate engagement opportunities and make grounded recommendations for moving towards achieving organizational goals.
- Develop work plans with tasks, timeframes, milestones and resources.
- Manage project resources, including staff, partners, and client engagement.
- Plan and coordinate events (e.g. Board meetings, guest events, conferences)
- Facilitate content development and agenda
- Identify and secure speakers and participants
- Plan and undertake marketing, promotion, logistics
- Strong communications planning and execution skills
- Understanding and ability to evaluate and measure communication channels
- Demonstrated ability to translate research into clear outreach content and materials
- Ability to lead teams and engage leadership and partners to specific outcomes
- Development, marketing, proposal and/or grant writing experience
- Strong fundraising track record
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills
- Passion for Greenleaf’s mission and values, and knowledge of sustainability
- Minimum 5-7 years professional experience
- Graduate degree preferred, not required
If you wish to engage across industry, science and government to advance sustainable solutions to environmental and health challenges, please consider applying for this position by submitting a letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Compensation is competitive.